Sunday, March 22, 2009

Wednesday, March 18th

During the demolition process of any project you never know what you might find. We have been fortunate in this project to find pieces of St. Charles' past. While working on the demolition in the vestibule area, this old newspaper was found. We believe that it is a religious newspaper like "The Catholic Observer". Unfortunately, we weren't able to see a date.

Not knowing the date was really bothering me. I thought to myself that there has to be some way of figuring this out. I began my search based on the article below about the death of Bishop Wehrle. I had to magnify the original picture to be able to read the text. I then did the infamous "Google" search and low and behold I had information about Bishop Wehrle in less than a minute. It really is amazing what computers can do. He was the Bishop of Bismark, North Dakota and died 11/2/1941. In reading his biography, it was very clear how instrumental he was in the construction of churches in his diocese due to growing members in this diocese.

For more information about the life of Bishop Wehrle please click on the following link:

No comments:

Post a Comment